Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Memorial Day Decorations



Banner #1


    Red star


 White Star


 Blue Star


Banner #2



 Red Star  


 White Star
 

 Blue Star

The 2 banners are different- All the stars were made from paint chips from a local lumber yard. I love free paint chips! Glue and glitter on the side, glitter from Craft & Hobby Connection by Martha Stewart. The silver paper was a gift and I used foam stickers to elevate the stars off the white stars for some depth. The ones by the window I tied on the white and blue ribbons onto the back on each one individually, while the other one I laced all 3 curling ribbons through - which meant glitter everywhere- but they turned out nice. 

The best part is I'll leave these banners up all summer- to incorporate the Fourth of July and even Labor Day. 


Print from Le Paper Studio- a college classmate of mine owns. 

Our other DIY has been - Soap Making 

It's laundry soap, and it's pretty easy to do.  


 Melting the soap.
 We found the recipe at the Duggar Family website. 
I did the option of Tea Tree oil, which I didn't have to do, but it smells so good! 
  

 The mixture turned to gel overnight. 


You gotta love the helpful, handy hubby who lets me take photos of him! 


 The next day- 


We had the need to buy a mixer- found in the paint section of our local lumber yard store! 


 It does an awesome job of mixing our laundry detergent. 


Pouring it into an old laundry soap container. Gave 2 of these to family and still had one for us, plus extra. 
All the ingredients were bought for less than $20, and I still have more- except I'll have to buy another bar of  soap- but that's only $1.00 at Wal-Mart. This $20 includes the bucket and the lid, bar of soap, borax and Arm and Hammer Washing Soda (not baking soda). Extras we bought were: paint mixer for our drill- about $7 - $8. A $2 pot to melt the soap and a $2 grater from a garage sale, and a Dollar Tree stop for some measuring cups. The most expensive thing in this process was the $24 Tea Tree Oil, which I hear you can get cheaper at Target- not from the specialty store. Why didn't I look there first?
Look in the vitamin aisle. 
Saving money feels great!
No more buying detergent at $18/ time- this will last a while and it wasn't that hard to do, either. 

 How do you save money? 



0 comments:

Post a Comment